As one looks around upon entering, The Cabin, it gives off an aura of authenticity and realism.

The original cypress roof is still visible from inside, and even the spider webs of 100 years ago are still clinging to the ceiling.

The walls are papered with ancient newspaper,fixed to the wall with a mixture of flour and water.This was the way the slaves insulated the walls of the original slave dwelling.

In practically every nook and cranny, antique farm implements and Old bottles on display tools of years gone by are displayed for you to see.

Original Fireplace

Originally, there were two chimneys and four
rooms in the main cabin. One of the chimneys has been rebuilt as it once stood.

The Grand Dining Room

In the grand dining room, Beautiful woodwork, with windows overlooking the courtyard the roof is supported by four massive beams that were manufacturer’s rejects obtained for a bottle of Old Crow bourbon.

The original floor in the main cabin has been replaced with pine flooring from the commissary at the Welham Plantation in Convent, Louisiana.

L’Armitage General Store

There were two of these buildings, just alike and side by side. Only one was saved when the Mississippi River’s levee was moved in 1932.

One of two slave cabins from Helvetia Plantation

There were two of these buildings, just alike and side by side. Only one was saved when the Mississippi River’s levee was moved in 1932.Now attached to The Cabin, it provides extra seating area for the restaurant and lots of space for memorabilia and collectibles.

entranceleftsm

All of the old cabinets along the walls are full of old goodies to look at.

Collectibles Displayed.

Post Office Inside General Store.

Cistern Restrooms

The restrooms are unique in their own way. Cistern RestroomCistern RestroomThey were constructed from a cypress water cistern. The partitions inside the restrooms are from the Old Crow Distillery in New Orleans, which was demolished in 1970.

The area where they sit was a two-room slave dwelling from the Welham Plantation with its original roof and walls. It is approximately 140 years old.